When your self-confidence soars, everything benefits – your body, your relationships, possibly even your pocketbook.
Here are six simple things you can do today to build your self-confidence.
1. Listen to the way you talk to yourself. Experts say that a full 70 to 80% of our thoughts are negative, and that can eat away at your self-confidence - day in and day out. It may sound corny, but changing your inner monologue can help your self-confidence in untold ways.
Here are some ideas:
Set a timer for random, intermittent periods of time. When the alarm goes off, immediately tune in to find out what you were thinking about. If it’s negative, make a conscious effort to bring your thoughts immediately into something more positive.
Write your own affirmations. Say them twice daily – or record them into a tape recorder and listen to them in your car or while doing daily chores.
Ask a friend to listen for negativity in your conversations. When negativity crops up, immediately say something positive.
Listen to behavior modification audios that target negative self-talk. These can be really effective – and come in both subliminal and non-subliminal varieties.
2. Look your best. Superficial as it may sound, the way you feel about your appearance on a daily basis can really build self-confidence. Go through a stack of magazines and tear out photos of hairstyles and clothing that are appealing to you. How can you incorporate some of those images into your present look? It takes just minutes a day to polish your appearance, and you’ll instantly look and feel more self-confident. When you look and feel more confident, you’ll act more confident. And when you act more confident, you’ll be more confident.
3. Stand up straight. When you are feeling down, you are more likely to slouch and frown, which can make a bad mood even worse. Next time you don’t feel like smiling, pull your shoulders back, stand tall, and smile. Before you know it, your smile will be genuine. And you will be exhibiting a more self-confident you to the world.
4. Examine the energy of your friends. What kind of energy do you emit with friends? What kind of energy do your friends emit? Here’s a good litmus test: How do you feel about yourself and the world immediately after you leave the company of your friend? If you feel down and critical, make an effort to be around more positive, self-confident people. Their energy will rub off on you.
5. Catalog your positives. Make a long list of all the accomplishments that you are proud of, and post it where you can see it every day. Now make a list of the personality characteristics that you are proud of. What makes you unique? Celebrate yourself and all the things that make you, you – without trying to change them.
6. Be grateful. Start your day by jotting down 5 things you are looking forward to. And end your day by writing 5 things you enjoyed. By acknowledging the blessings in our lives, we get a sense for the bigger picture and our larger life purpose, which is much, much more than the day-to-day obstacles of our lives.
I will have much more on building your self-confidence in future post, for now use the six simple steps . They work!
Every Month A Million and your Daily Dose Of Good